Syracuse (45 Subjects)
View of the ancient theare of Syracuse, before it was excavated.
1. The quarries of Syracuse. 2. Interior of the quarries.
View of the quarry known as “Ear of Dioynusius” in Syracuse. 2. View of the interior of the quarry.
View of quarries in Syracuse. At the time of the author's visit, the quarry was within the garden of the Capuchin monastery.
1. View of the catacombs of Saint John in Syracuse. 2. View of the central catacomb of the complex.
1. View of the ancient theatre of Syracuse. 2. View of the funerary monument known as the “Grave of Archimedes”.
1. View of river Anapo, which runs through the city of Syracuse. 2. The remains of the temple of Olympian Zeus in Syracuse.
1. Monumental building at Syracuse. 2. Stairway carved into lava stone from Mount Etna near Catania, Sicily.
1. Stone bridge near the necropolis of Pantalica, Sicily. 2. The necropolis of Pantalica in Sicily, at the site of ancient Herbessus.
Coins from Leontium, Megara Hyblaea and Camarina, ancient cities near Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Gelo and his brother Hiero, rulers of Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Dionysius the Elder, Agathocles and Pyrrhus, rulers of Syracuse.