Southern Italy (382 Subjects)
View of the New Castle of Naples. The castle was built by Charles I of Anjou in 1282.
Tomb of princess Maria of Durazzo, granddaughter of Robert of Anjou, at the church of Santa Chiara, Naples.
The tomb of Agnès and Clemence, descendants of Robert of Anjou at the church of Santa Chiara, Naples.
Statue of Conradin, Duke of Swabia and King of Sicily (1252-1268) at the church of Santa Maria del Carmine, Naples. The statue was made by Bertel Thorvaldsen and erected by Maximilian of Bavaria in 1847.
Interior of the putative tomb of Vergil at Naples.
1. View of the port of Syracuse from the sea, with Mount Aetna in the background. 2. View of the port of Syracuse from the city.
Map of Syracuse, showing some of the main sights and monuments. In (1), imaginary reconstruction of the temple of Athena.
1. View of the outer peristyle of the temple of Athena, today part of the cathedral church of Syracuse. 2. Fountain of Arethousa, Syracuse.
View of the ancient theare of Syracuse, before it was excavated.
1. The quarries of Syracuse. 2. Interior of the quarries.
View of the quarry known as “Ear of Dioynusius” in Syracuse. 2. View of the interior of the quarry.
View of quarries in Syracuse. At the time of the author's visit, the quarry was within the garden of the Capuchin monastery.
1. View of the catacombs of Saint John in Syracuse. 2. View of the central catacomb of the complex.
1. View of the ancient theatre of Syracuse. 2. View of the funerary monument known as the “Grave of Archimedes”.
1. View of river Anapo, which runs through the city of Syracuse. 2. The remains of the temple of Olympian Zeus in Syracuse.
Papyrus plants and other flora typical of Sicily.
View of the caves of Ispica at Ispica, Val di Noto Province, Sicily.
1. Monumental building at Syracuse. 2. Stairway carved into lava stone from Mount Etna near Catania, Sicily.
1. Landscape near Piazza Armerina, Sicily. 2. Landscape near Pietrapercia, Sicily.
1. Stone bridge near the necropolis of Pantalica, Sicily. 2. The necropolis of Pantalica in Sicily, at the site of ancient Herbessus.
1. Mound of volvanic material from the volcano of Etna, Sicily. 2. Landscape at Val di Noto, Sicily.
Ancient coins of Gelo and his brother Hiero, rulers of Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Dionysius the Elder, Agathocles and Pyrrhus, rulers of Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Hiero II, Queen Philistis, Theron of Acragas and Phintias of Acragas.
Roman coins from Sicily.
Frontispiece: The interior of the second temple of Hera at Paestum.
View of the first temple of Hera at Paestum.