Ancient Greek colonies (20 Subjects)
Map of Greek territories, including the ancient Greek colonies of Southern Italy and Asia Minor.
Map of the city and port of Brindisi in Italy.
Map of the port of Poreč in Croatia.
1. View of the port of Syracuse from the sea, with Mount Aetna in the background. 2. View of the port of Syracuse from the city.
Map of Syracuse, showing some of the main sights and monuments. In (1), imaginary reconstruction of the temple of Athena.
1. View of the outer peristyle of the temple of Athena, today part of the cathedral church of Syracuse. 2. Fountain of Arethousa, Syracuse.
View of the ancient theare of Syracuse, before it was excavated.
1. The quarries of Syracuse. 2. Interior of the quarries.
View of the quarry known as “Ear of Dioynusius” in Syracuse. 2. View of the interior of the quarry.
View of quarries in Syracuse. At the time of the author's visit, the quarry was within the garden of the Capuchin monastery.
1. View of the catacombs of Saint John in Syracuse. 2. View of the central catacomb of the complex.
1. View of the ancient theatre of Syracuse. 2. View of the funerary monument known as the “Grave of Archimedes”.
1. View of river Anapo, which runs through the city of Syracuse. 2. The remains of the temple of Olympian Zeus in Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Syracuse.
1. Stone bridge near the necropolis of Pantalica, Sicily. 2. The necropolis of Pantalica in Sicily, at the site of ancient Herbessus.
Coins from Leontium, Megara Hyblaea and Camarina, ancient cities near Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Lipari.
Ancient coins of Gelo and his brother Hiero, rulers of Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Dionysius the Elder, Agathocles and Pyrrhus, rulers of Syracuse.
Ancient coins of Hiero II, Queen Philistis, Theron of Acragas and Phintias of Acragas.